What to Eat and Drink Before Getting a Tattoo
How do you prepare for a tattoo? After choosing an artist and selecting a design, you need to start getting ready to get your ink. Applying a tattoo cream before your session can help with the discomfort. Caring for your skin and removing body hair are essential pre-tattoo steps, and it is recommended to also pay attention to what you eat and drink.
Certain foods and beverages have nutrients that can soften skin and speed healing. Meanwhile, others can cause issues like dehydration, which can slow recovery and harm the overall quality of the tattoo.
Which Foods Can Help With Tattoo Recovery?
Eating healthy, balanced meals is the best pre-tattoo strategy. You can add foods with specific beneficial nutrients to the menu. Here are a few to consider.
- Vitamin C, found in citrus fruits, broccoli, and kale, is vital in wound recovery and will help your tattoo heal faster. Dermatologists also recommend vitamin C to help firm the skin.
- Water keeps your skin hydrated and pliable. Getting enough to drink can actually help improve the appearance of your ink. You can even drink water during your session.
- Antioxidants help excrete waste from the body. They can speed healing and also provide anti-inflammatory effects, especially when combined with a tattoo cream. Antioxidant-rich foods include garlic, saffron, nuts, and herbs.
These foods can always be part of your diet, and it is ideal to consume them across the week before your tattoo session to enjoy the benefits.
What to Avoid Eating and Drinking
There are also items to avoid in the days leading up to your tattoo appointment.
- Dairy and processed sugar could slow down the healing process. You want to heal as quickly as possible to limit the chances of infection.
- Alcohol, coffee, and energy drinks are diuretics. They can cause dehydration and tighten and dry out your skin. Therefore, it is best to avoid alcohol and drinks with caffeine or sweeteners in the days before your tattoo.
Sticking to water and unsweetened herbal tea is the best strategy. If you prefer sweet drinks, consider fresh fruit juice.
Combine the Right Diet with the Best Tattoo Numbing Cream in Australia
Hydration and the right nutrients can help to ensure a high-quality tattoo that heals quickly. You can also rely on Numbastay, the best tattoo numbing cream in Australia. It contains tetracaine, prilocaine, and lidocaine to numb the pain, limit discomfort and irritation during and after your tattoo.