How to Look After a New Tattoo: 5 Top Tips
Getting a new tattoo is an exciting experience, and taking proper care of it is crucial to ensure the longevity and vibrancy of your ink. Whether it's your first tattoo or you're adding to your existing collection, following these five top tips will help you look after your new tattoo and promote optimal healing.
- Keep Moisturising for Optimal Healing; After your tattoo is complete, it's essential to keep the area moisturised to prevent the ink from drying up and causing poor healing. Moisturising regularly will help keep the skin hydrated, promoting faster healing and minimising the chances of scabbing and peeling. Choose a tattoo cream or moisturiser, hypoallergenic lotion to avoid any potential irritation.
- Maintain Cleanliness to Prevent Infection; Keeping your new tattoo clean is crucial to prevent infections. After getting a tattoo, follow your artist's instructions on how to clean the area properly. Gently wash the tattooed area with lukewarm water and a mild, fragrance-free soap. Avoid using harsh soaps and exfoliants or scrubbing the tattooed skin vigorously. Pat the area dry with a clean towel or allow it to air dry and avoid rubbing the tattoo.
- Protect from Sunlight and Immersion in Water; During the healing phase of your tattoo, it's vital to avoid exposing it to direct sunlight and immersing it in water for extended periods. Sunlight can fade the colours of your tattoo and prolong the healing process. If you need to be outdoors, cover your tattoo with clothing or use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF to shield it from harmful UV rays. Similarly, avoid swimming or soaking in baths, pools, hot tubs, or saunas until your tattoo has fully healed.
- Regular Moisturising to Preserve Ink Vibrancy; Moisturising is not only crucial during the initial healing phase but also for the long-term preservation of your tattoo's vibrancy. Continued use of a high-quality, fragrance-free moisturiser will keep your skin nourished and prevent the ink from fading. Apply the moisturiser to your tattooed area daily or as needed, paying attention to any specific recommendations from your tattoo artist.
- Use a Gentle and Non-Toxic Body Wash; To keep your new tattoo clean and healthy, opt for a gentle and non-toxic body wash specifically formulated for sensitive skin. Harsh chemicals and fragrances in regular body washes can irritate the tattooed area and potentially lead to ink fading or skin damage. Look for mild, hypoallergenic options that will cleanse without stripping away natural oils or causing unnecessary irritation.
Caring for your new tattoo is essential for its long-term beauty and health. By following these five top tips, including regular moisturising, proper cleanliness, sun and water protection, and the use of gentle body washes, you can ensure optimal healing and maintain the vibrant appearance of your tattoo for years to come. Remember to consult your tattoo artist for any specific aftercare instructions tailored to your tattoo and enjoy the journey of wearing your new ink with pride.